Make this Magical, Color-Changing Unicorn Cocktail
Story and Pix :: Anastacia Uriegas
2017 will forever be remembered as the year that unicorn and mermaid-everything hit peak trend status--we saw it in hair, makeup, frappuccinos, desserts, even freakin’ toast. So, we decided to use unicorn magic to create an adult beverage you won’t likely find on Instagram.
The Color-Changing Unicorn Bee’s Knees is a gin-based, Prohibition-era cocktail which uses a unique ingredient to achieve full fantasy status: an all-natural blue extract made from Thai butterfly pea flower petals. When the butterfly pea flower extract interacts with acidic ingredients with a low pH, like citrus juice, it transforms from blue to deep violet to hot pink and the ombre chemical reaction is a gorgeous one to behold. The 3-ingredient Bee’s Knees is a great drink to have in your repertoire and is taken to another level with blue butterfly pea flower ice cubes.
Skip making your own extract by purchasing ready-made B’Lure and enjoy this magical drink!
1 1/2 Ounces of Gin
3/4 Ounce of Lemon Juice
3/4 oz Honey Syrup (Please See Below)
Butterfly Pea Flower Extract
2” Large Ice Cube Mold
Old Fashioned Glass
Lemon Wheel Garnish
Hawthorne Strainer and Mesh Strainer
1. Make ice cubes ahead of time by adding 15-30 drops of butterfly pea flower extract per 2” ice cube or by sight until water is deep blue in color.
2. Add gin, lemon juice, and honey syrup into a cocktail shaker.
3. Add ice and shake until chilled.
4. Double strain by pouring out of the Hawthorne strainer through a mesh strainer into Old Fashioned glass.
5. Slowly add ice cubes.
6. Garnish with a lemon peel or lemon wheel.
To make honey syrup, combine 2 parts honey with 1 part hot water in a jar or glass. Stir to dissolve.